TWAS-USM Postgraduate Fellowship Programme
Opening date of this fellowship : 15 April 2019
Closing date of this fellowship : 15 July 2019
* TWAS-USM Postgraduate Fellowships are tenable in the departments, institutions and laboratories of the Universiti Sains Malaysia (see www.ips.usm.my for USM academic programme) for a period of three years (renewable yearly) for studies leading to a PhD degree in the natural sciences.
* The academic year in Malaysia begins in September and the second semester in February of each year, following the year of application. Candidates will enrol for their PhD at a USM department/laboratory and must observe USM's academic calendar and be ready to start their fellowship on the first day of classes/courses.
* USM will provide a standard monthly allowance which should be used to cover living costs, such as accommodation, food and health insurance.
* The award of the fellowship is subject to obtaining in due course a final offer letter of admission from USM that must be approved by the relevant USM School. Upon receipt of the USM-TWAS award letter from TWAS, candidates will need to contact in due course the Institute of Postgraduate Studies (IPS) of USM to apply for the final offer letter. In case the application for the final offer letter of admission is not approved by USM, the award will become null and void.
* The language of instruction is English.
Applicants for these Fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- Be a maximum age of 35 years on 31 December of the application year.
- Be nationals of a developing country (other than Malaysia).
- Must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in Malaysia or any developed country.
- Hold a Master's degree in a field of natural sciences.
- Provide an official Acceptance Letter from the USM Institute of Postgraduate Studies (IPS). Requests for Acceptance Letters must be directed to Prof. Rozman Hj Din, Dean, Institute of Postgraduate Studies (IPS) (at emails:email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org ) who will facilitate assignment of a host supervisor. The acceptance letter must come from the IPS Dean (and not from any Head of Department or supervisors at USM).
- In contacting the IPS Dean applicants must accompany their request for an Acceptance Letter with ALL the following documents:
- copy of an updated CV;
- a short write-up of research proposal (maximum 5 pages);
- scanned copies of certificates, academic transcripts (certified true copy of Bachelor and Master degree certificates) with CGPA 3.5 and above and related credentials;
- two referee letters;
- a scanned copy of the front page of their publications;
- provide evidence of proficiency in English. In this regard, the requirements for postgraduate candidates are as follows: A minimum score of 35 for TOEFL (Internet-based); or a minimum of Band 5 for IELTS (https://www.ielts.org) or a minimum score of 36 for PTE (https://pearsonpte.com), or a minimum score of 154 for CAE/CPE (https://www.cambridgeenglish.org).
- exemption is given to candidates who: have English as their mother tongue or national language; or graduated from an Institution of Higher Learning in which the medium of instruction at Bachelor and/or Master degree level is English; or have taken English courses from selected Malaysian public/private university or institution. (The level of qualification and the relevant courses should be previously identified and approved by the University Postgraduate Studies Council).
- Only requests for acceptance letters that contain ALL the above required documents will be processed by the IPS, USM.
- Be financially responsible for any accompanying family members.
- Provide evidence of proficiency in English (see above).
- Provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship;
- Not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship.
Submitting Your Application
- The deadline for receipt of applications to TWAS is 15 July 2019.
- Applicants must submit the Preliminary Acceptance Letter from the Institute of Postgraduate Studies (IPS), USM when applying to TWAS or by the deadline at the latest. Without Preliminary Acceptance Letter, the application will not be considered for selection.
- Applications for the TWAS-USM Postgraduate Fellowship Programme can ONLY be submitted via the online portal. (https://twas.org/opportunity/twas-usm-postgraduate-fellowship-programme)
- TWAS Fellowships Office ICTP campus, Strada Costiera 11 34151Trieste, Italy
- Tel: +39 040 2240 314 Fax: +39 040 2240 689
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Dean Institute of Postgraduate Studies (IPS), Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) 11800 Penang, Malaysia
- Tel: +60 4 6532 930 Fax: +60 4 6532 931
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com